I have been teaching, researching and writing about aspects of media since the mid-1970s. Before academic life, I had a career in the Communications branch of the Royal Navy, leaving to become a mature student and eventually a lecturer. Most of my academic career was spent at the University of Liverpool, finally as a Professor and Head of the School of Politics and Communication Studies. On retirement, I became Visiting Professor in the School of Media and Communication at the University of Leeds. Since 1989 I have been an editor of the journal Media, Culture and Society (for more information, see my Author page on Amazon for book details and the biog section of my Leeds University staff page.)
My most recent book is: Soundings: Documentary Film and the Listening Experience (with Geoffrey Cox). Free download at: http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/id/eprint/34505/
My most recent articles are:
2021 Figuring Covid: A Note on Media Flows and Statisticality, at http://mediatheoryjournal.org/john-corner-figuring-covid/
- 2019 Origins and Transformations: Histories of Communication Study, Media, Culture and Society. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0163443718820666
- 2019 ‘Aesthetics and Media Inquiry’, open access at mediatheoryjournal.org (within ‘commentaries’)
- ‘2018 ‘Mediatization, Media Theory’s Word of the Decade’, open access at the ‘blog’ of media theory journal at mediatheoryjournal.org volume 2.2.
- (with Kate Nash) ‘Strategic Impact Documentary: Contexts of Production and Social Intervention’, European Journal of Communication 31.3. 227-242. 2016
- 2017 ‘Reflections on ‘Engagement’. Afterword to section on Media Engagement. Media Industries Journal. 4.1. Spring.
- 2017 ‘After Dark: Channel 4’s Innovation in Television Talk’ (with David Lee) Journal of British Cinema and Television. 14.4 445-463
- 2017 ‘Fake News, Post-Truth and Media-Political Change’ (review article) Media Culture and Society, November issue. (39.7)